Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Rider's Notes: Captain's Log Day 2

The second day of a 150 mile mike ride is both the worst day and the best day of the ride.  The worst day because the cumulative effect of riding 90 miles on the first day makes getting in the saddle the hardest thing to do.  The best day because these first tortured 10 miles of the ride is truly spectacular - mission churches, farm land, gorgeous south western vistas - and knowing that today's is shorter.  My goal today was only the 40 miles, so I could get back early enough to enjoy a dip in the pool with the toddler before we headed home for the weekend.  I missed the Truchas spur, but getting back early enough to get a descent lunch, massage, and a shower almost made it worth missing the thrilling 6 mile descent from Truchas.  It was a great day of riding though!  It helped I was riding with a great group of fellow riders - LeeAnn, John, Greg, Val, Buddy, and Andrew.  Finished 40 miles and done by 11 am.


This ride is truly a fantastic experience.  It is more than just a two day weekend at the end of August. For me and the other dedicated folks on the team, it starts in early May as we start holding recruiting sessions, planning for our fundraisers, soliciting donations from local businesses, planning the training season, ordering team jerseys, sending out the countless emails to the team regarding rides and events, growing our ridership, getting out of bed at 5 am on Saturday mornings for 2 months, and finally harassing friends and family for donations.  The actual ride weekend is the culmination of the 4 months of active effort and it is always worth it.  


It is always a difficult to condense every thing I feel about this ride into a short note, but let me try. First, our team is amazing!  Riders from all places in life that come together for a myriad of reasons to ride together for 2 months.  Some of them I have ridden with for over 3 years, and count them truly as extended family. The sense of camaraderie feels wonderful, and the only thing that is close is my long ago rugby days.  

Finally, the ride itself is a great combination personal challenge and celebration.  Challenge, because as life becomes more full with family and children, devoting the kind of time to this ride will become more difficult.  But more than that, if you would have asked me right after my diagnosis 6 years ago if I  thought I would be capable of riding 150 miles in a weekend I would have said no.  At the time, my mind was in the darkest of places as I contemplated my uncertain future.  So this is a yearly challenge to get out and be as active as I can and enjoy what I have while I have it.  So in that sense it is a personal celebration, in addition to the true rolling party the ride is every year.


No comments:

Post a Comment