Monday, September 2, 2013

Rider's Notes: Captain's Log Day 1

This year was the fifth MS150 ride for the Scrymgeour clan - my fifth year riding, Ali's fifth year volunteering or riding, and even Connor's fifth year (he was in utero at the first one).  Every year I look forward to this weekend, and this year was no exception.  It was certainly more difficult this year with two kiddos, but thanks to Ali's parents we were able to do the ride this year.


One of the highlight for me the first day was seeing so many new riders suited up in Domo jerseys and ready to go (16 new riders this year)!  The ride I was planning on today (the 88 miles) is here. The other was being able to ride with Ali for the first 20 miles.  We cruised out in the 2nd wave of riders to take a relaxed ride toward the first rest stop.  There were about 8 of us riding together and spirits were high as we chatted and enjoyed the 10 miles to the first rest stop.  We stop for refueling and potty breaks and then onto the next stop, the halfway for the 40 mile riders.

Look at all those Penultimates jerseys!
I said goodbye to Ali as she and LeeAnn headed back on the 40 mile ride.  We headed out on the next 30 miles toward lunch.  It was fun to ride this year with a few other riders - Blythe, Andrew, and John. For some reason, the last 3 years I did this stretch of ride solo.  We picked up Peggy, Tammy, and Gregg on their return from the century spur,  and we rode roughly as a group the next 10 miles - the long uphill and and then down to El Rito for lunch. 

Lunch - the best sandwich I had or will have all year.
Under cloudy skies (that threatened rain all day to no avail), we enjoyed a nice lunch before suiting up for the next leg of the ride.  It was a long downhill section that John and I kept a nice 18-22 mph pace for most of the way.  After a quick refresh at mile 60 begins the hard work.  This is the point the ride starts to get long, the weather hot, and cumulative tally of miles in the saddle start to catch up with you. But Andrew, John, and I forged ahead to the stops at mile 70 and finally 80.  At the last stop we only had 8 miles to go, but it was a long 8 miles!

We finished around 4 pm.  Completing the ride for me is always a relief.  Glad to have finished, and a confirmation that I can still do it.  This will be my personal challenge for as long as I can physically ride, and I hope to participate in this ride for a long time to come.  It is a fantastic event, and one that is always rewarding - from the volunteers, to the beautiful scenery, to the fellow riders - and I look forward to next years ride (after 10 months off from training that is!).

No comments:

Post a Comment