Friday, June 28, 2013

Rider Bio: John M.

Who you are: John Martinez

What you ride (bike bio): Felt Z100 (road), Kona Dr. Dew Deluxe (commute), Giant Yukon (Mountain)

One interesting rider fact about you: Expanding on last year's factoid: I was conceived in Italy, born in Germany, baptized a few weeks later in Spain, and then we all moved back to the US (Indiana, to be specific). Since then, I have lived in 7 states (IN, CA, VA, AZ, OH, NH, and NM) as well as Puerto Rico, but only one of those was on account of military (when I was an officer in the Air Force) – the rest were career moves or sabbaticals for my father or career and school moves of mine, as an adult. I have only lived in two different states the last 12 years, so things are slowing down! Bonus points for anyone who can guess which state was for the AF!

Your cycling special skill: Don't know about "special," but I like to ride no-handed when I can. I think Laura and Eric have some jealousy issues about this!

Worst cycling memory: Fixing four flats (on my own bike) at last year's MS ride.

Humiliating cycling memory: I share the clipless pedal experience. One of my first slow-motion falls included impaling my calf on the big chainring. The physical scars have faded, while the emotional ones endure!

How epic fig newtons are in general: Newtons are great, though they don't hold up well to being squashed. The crunchy insect heads really add to the whole experience.

Best memory of a previous MS ride: Tackling Truchas last year after the beautiful ride to ChimayĆ³, but the ride from ChimayĆ³ to Santa Clara (without the traffic) the year before is a very close second

Your post ride routine: eat & shower/swim

Your favorite ride food/drink: Pickles! (Messy to take, though)

For more details, check out last years bio here.


No comments:

Post a Comment