Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Rider Bio: Larry D.

Who you are: Larry D., 63 Y.O. retired geophysicist

Why you ride: To keep moving and to justify an afternoon nap.

Who do you ride for: A whole lot of people with MS.  You can read their names on my jersey.

What you ride (bike bio): Cervelo R5, race worthy carbon comfort, modified to get a 63 Y.O. with MS up and down some hills, and home again in time for lunch and a nap.

Longest ride to date: 1)Stage ride, Ride the Rockies, 450 miles; 2) Single day, Tour de Tucson, 112 mi.

One interesting rider fact about you: the best sleep I get is the nap after a hard ride.

Humiliating cycling memory: I used to patch flatted inner tubes and carry them for re-use.  One day I flatted out and went through 4 old patched tubes, none of which held air, before my buddy finally gave me a new one to get home on.  Going on five years now and haven’t heard the end of it yet.

How epic fig Newton’s are in general: Fig Newton’s are an indispensable tool for saving damsels in distress.  It’s true, with a few fig Newton’s in your pocket you can save young women from bonking on long bike rides, thereby earning a life long biking buddy.  From the book “Secrets of Old Guys on Bikes” which I haven’t written yet.

Best memory of a previous MS ride: Actually finishing the second one I ever attempted, (Obviously the first one didn't go so well)

Your post ride routine: Chocolate milk, Shower, Afternoon nap.

Highlight of 2012 ride: NOT being DFL up the Truchas hill.  I hope to repeat that this year but I'm not taking bets.

To read about Larry's wonderful writeup on his experience last year ride, check this out.


No comments:

Post a Comment